Thursday, October 20, 2005

Time for new boots


I determined today that I need to buy a new pair of combat boots. The ones I'm wearing now, a pair of Corcoran IIs, have been with me for more than two years now. I bought them on sale at my home town Army-Navy surplus store before I left for Korea, and the right upper is coming away from the sole in one spot. There are two deep scuffs on the toe of the left that I can't seem to get out no matter how much polish I melt into them, and there's a concertina-wire gouge on the top of the right one. There's also a hole developing near one of the seams on one, and the treads have been worn down thin.

It's a little sad, since I've really liked these boots. I tramped around rice paddies and training areas in 2ID-land for a year in them, and they're easy -- well, they were easy -- to shine.

The thing is, I'm not sure which ones I should get now. I've never really been all that crazy about the "Jungle Boots" (or "hot-weather" versions). I like the look of the jump boot style, but the basic jumps have a flat tread on them, and that's no good. I can just picture myself busting my ass the first time it rains and I have to go and take pictures of tanks in the mud.

Tanker boots are out, of course.

The Corcorans they have at U.S. Cavalry are something like $129.99, though. That's a bit on the steep side... but I suppose if they last another two years, it's a worthwhile investment.

Anybody out there in MilBlog land have a recommendation? Please don't say the basic issue boots. Those are like leather socks and I hate them.