Friday, June 03, 2005

Mike Tyson: 'My whole life has been a waste'

File these in the "Freaks" category: In the lead story in USA Today, former heavyweight champion of the world Mike Tyson says his "whole life has been a waste":

"I'll never be happy," he says. "I believe I'll die alone. I would want it that way. I've been a loner all my life with my secrets and my pain. I'm really lost, but I'm trying to find myself.

"I'm really a sad, pathetic case."

Last year, I had a press pass to watch Tyson vs. Danny Williams in Louisville. Here are a couple photos I shot at the fight:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It was pretty amazing to walk into a major boxing match on the red carpet, even though I had to do some serious haggling with security to make them believe that my press pass was actually valid. But I made it in anyway, and sat in the press area down on the floor. I estimated that ticketed seats that close cost around $1,100.

I doubt they'll be that expensive when Tyson fights Kevin McBride June 11 in Washington, D.C.

Another advantage of being in the press area was that the fighters walked right by us as they headed to the ring. I snapped this shot of Layla Ali, daughter of the legendary fighter and Louisville native Mohammed Ali, on her way to the ring, where she pummelled the snot out of Monica Nunez:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


In other news, the Michael Jackson trial has gone through closing arguments and is going to the jury.

-30-