Sunday, July 31, 2005

The War on Terror is over... On with the Global Struggle Against Violent Extremism!

Good lord. I'm listening to NPR, and they're talking about how the White House has changed monikers for whatever's going on in Iraq and Afghanistan.

It has been, in the past, referred to "The War on Terror." Now, it's the "Global Struggle Against Violent Extremism."

More than a year ago, I was informed that I was going to be putting a new award on my Class-A uniform - a medal being awarded to every soldier in the Army, called the "Global War on Terror Service Medal" or GWOTSM. I guess we're now going to have "GSAVEOSM" now. Let's hope I don't have to get a new one at U.S. Cav now.

What's this all about, then? We've dropped the "war," dropped the "terrorism," and replaced them with "struggle" and "violent extremism." Does this strike anyone else as more dancing around the issue? Does anyone think it's strange that the language we use has to be so carefully and sensitively constructed?

I can't help but think of George Orwell's 1984.

-30-

UPDATE: Open Posting at Mudville!