Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Two scoops of fun

I have learned from our esteemed colleagues in the Public Affairs Office side of the house that People Magazine and The New York Times are both here on Fort Knox today, and both are covering stories I've worked on already.

People, which I don't mind saying is a salacious rag, is covering the issue of marriage in the military - which is a hot issue since numbers released by the Army last month reveal that officer divorce rates nearly doubled in the past year.

Here's my story on the subject. Excerpt:

Multiple deployments are hitting Army families hard, particularly officers, according to numbers released by the Department of the Army.

Divorce numbers for Army officers nearly doubled last fiscal year, from 1,866 in 2003 to 3,325 in 2004. That's a jump from 3.3 percent to 6 percent of total officer marriages.
And then NYT is doing a piece on drill sergeants, which I covered here and here.

Watch for the NYT's take on drill sergeants. I'm doubtful that they're interested in helping the Army's flagging recruiting numbers. We'll see.

-30-