Friday, January 06, 2006

God gave Ariel Sharon the stroke

Every so often I think to myself, "You know, I should probably write something about the state of affairs in this country -- the way I used to." I could hit up something like the NSA and domestic spying, the ongoing Supreme Court nomination scuffle, the strategic drawdown of troops in Iraq... but then something like this turns up, and I can't help but perk up and pay attention.

To wit: Pat Robertson, host and Grand Wizard of the 700 Club, has suggested that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's recent stroke (and subsequent brain-hemorrhage) was God's punishment for Sharon's policy of "dividing [God's] land."

From MediaMatters:

ROBERTSON: I have said last year that Israel was entering into the most
dangerous period of its entire existence as a nation. That is intensifying this
year with the loss of Sharon. Sharon was personally a very likeable person. I am
sad to see him in this condition. But I think we need to look at the Bible and
the Book of Joel. The prophet Joel makes it very clear that God has enmity
against those who, quote, "divide my land."
Robertson, you'll remember, recently made headlines when he suggested the United States should probably just send in a couple Delta Force commandos and assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

His recent proclamation on Sharon's health, interestingly enough, puts Roberston in line with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who is also fond of saying insane things about Israel.

From the Sydney Morning Herald:
Mr Ahmadinejad was quoted as saying he hoped Mr Sharon died. "Hopefully, the
news that the criminal of Sabra and Chatila has joined his ancestors is final,"
the news agency ISNA reported him telling Muslim clerics in Iran's holy city,
Qom.

Do I need to make any further comment? I'd make jokes here, but I know there are countless wizened heads around the country, nodding solemnly to Robertson's pronouncements. He'd be hilarious if so many people didn't take him so seriously.

-30-